The MacBook Pro is Apple’s flagship when it comes to performance and elegance in the laptop market. But despite the high-end hardware, sometimes you will need it for small things like audio recordings. Listening to a speech that you are practicing, recording a university course that is too dense with information or your favorite online radio show are just a few instances. There are several ways to successfully record audio on MacBook Pro and we will go through some of the most reliable ones.
Simple Ways for Recording Audio with MacBook Pro
QuickTime is well known for its video and music playback capabilities. But most of Mac users don’t know it also provides some additional features like audio recording. Since it is the pre-install software on MacBook Pro, you can begin the recording task directly. For your reference, here are the steps to follow:
- Open the QuickTime Player which you can find in the “Applications” menu.
- Pull down the “File” menu and choose “New Audio Recording”.
- Click the red icon to begin the audio recording, then you will see the duration and size of recorded audio.
- Press the same button to stop your recording.
- Click “File” and then “Save”, giving a name to the new audio file.
That’s all it takes to record sound on MacBook Pro using QuickTime. However, you should keep in mind that there is an obvious disadvantage with this method. Bear in mind that QuickTime will only record voice from the default microphone. In case you want to record audio from soundcard, things will get a bit more complicated. You will need to install and configure Soundflower to record audio from other channels. In this case, if you want more flexibility, just check the methods below.
2. Apowersoft Audio Recorder for Mac
For the one who needs a more comprehensive audio recorder for MacBook Pro, Apowersoft Audio Recorder for Mac may be exactly what you need. This neat program is really easy to use and has a great variety when it comes to audio recording. It allows you to record online audio or radio streams from any website. It automatically identifies the songs from your recordings, along with the album and artist. What’s more, it can even detect and remove the silent sections from your recordings. The software makes updates frequently and highly compatible with the latest Mac OS X El Capitan.
- Download the software by clicking the above button and install it on your desktop.
- First select the “Audio source” (microphone for voice, system sound for streaming music, in-game sound, radio shows, or both).
- Play the audio on Mac or speak through mic, hit the “Record” button to start recording.
- If at any point you need to take a break, hit the “Pause/resume” button.
- Once you are finished, just press “Stop”, then the audio will be saved to “Library”.
Except record audio manually, this application allows you to make audio recording on MacBook Pro automatically when you are not around. With the built-in task scheduler, all you have to do is name the task and set the proper time intervals in which you want to record. Then, it will start to record audio at set time. Besides, you can convert files to a wide variety of formats and even do basic editing on your files with the inlaid “Audio Editor”.
If you don’t need too many options and just want to record audio on MacBook Pro in a smart way, Piezo is the way to go. This little app allows you to jump right in, without having to worry too much about technical aspects. Featuring a simple design and a really intuitive interface, Piezo is great for very simple recordings.
- After installing the app, launch it and select the audio source. There are lots of sources that you can choose such as: iTunes, Skype, Chrome, Spotify, microphone and etc.
- Click the gear icon and choose an output directory.
- Press the red record button to begin recording, and play the audio you wish to save.
- Later, press the record button again to end recording.
- Give a name to the recorded file.
That’s about it, this is as easy as you it can get. However, Piezo is designed for basic recordings, so there are quite a few limitations. You have a couple of quality settings, but the highest one can only record at 256 Kbps, which may not be enough for your expectations. You are also limited to the MP3 format, which means that you will need a converter to get a different format.
As you could see, recording audio is an easy task, but you may spend some time in choosing a helpful audio recorder for MacBook Pro. QuickTime is great for casual users, as it is free and accessible. Piezo is outstanding for people who want to get things done quickly and don’t need the highest quality in their recordings. However, if you intend to create quality content on a regular basis, Apowersoft Audio Recorder is your best choice.